Saturday, March 08, 2014

I must live in Bath!

During Valentine's day weekend, I was one of the only law students left in the house. Everyone else was traveling to Amsterdam or to Lisbon. I, however, had chosen this and made arrangements to spend the day in Bath. This trip was more economical and also one of the best decisions I've made so far. Bath is gorgeous!!!
We arrived around mid-day. Once again, I was on UK-study tours. The sun was high and the sky was a wonderful, brilliant blue a the bus rolled into the city. This, i knew, was going to be the perfect trip. In fact, I knew it was the perfect trip to take alone. I would be able to enjoy the city in my own way without worrying about what others wanted to do. We took a quick one hour tour through the entire town. As we walked, I was amused by the man man playing his guitar and singing classic American 80s music. People were walking calmly through the streets, enjoying their relaxing Sunday afternoon. And I felt at home. I felt relaxed and at ease with life. After the tour, I took the time to walk around alone. I found the entire place a little magical. The story behind the father and son building and designing the layout of the city. The beautiful architecture. The royal crescent and how it was conceived and built to reflect the buyers and how much of the building they wanted to own. It all made me want to be in Bath for the rest of my trip. It was designed for opulence and beauty as well as serenity. I tried to imagine what my life would be like in this place. Could I sit and write my books while overlooking the beautiful lawn that stretches out from the royal crescent like a warm carpet before a fire? Could I draw inspiration from the cafes and the Roman bath house that is a reminder that even the ancient Romans believed that this place had healing powers and was a place for repose and thought and rejuvenation. Perhaps for me it could be a place for writing and finding the creative inspiration I've been looking for. I walked up and down the streets for hours alone just enjoying the atmosphere. Finally, a group of us were permitted to enter the Roman Bath House. Though I was not a history major or an archeology major, my love of both poured forth from me as I moved from room to room looking at what had been found of this ancient house of respite. The archeologists and historians have, in some areas, recreated what they believe the house looked like during the height of its popularity. I could imagine that it was quite posh and placed you at the center of high society to be able to come here and bath in the warm, healing water. Sigh. To have seen it at that time and been able to experience it...
After I finished my time in the Roman Bath House, I stopped by a very popular dessert shop and bought some gelato. Again, I wandered slowly around, eating my gelato and thinking about how somehow, someday, I want this town to be a regular part of my life. I stopped next to a little garden and just watched the day go by. And that was one of the most perfect moments I've had since being in Europe. The world almost seemed to sit still.

No comments: