Monday, March 10, 2014

London Town

What do I say about London town as I procrastinate on writing this paper. Yes, that's right, I'm in school too! I know it hasn't seemed like it, but I am actually here in England primarily to finish out my law school studies. I have class four days a week and do work on the weekends like any normal law student, it's just I have better scenery and cheaper (and still better) travel options. Yet, as I sit here working on a fifty page paper for which I must submit a draft on Thursday, all I want to do is blog. I'll try not to procrastinate for too long. So I have been to London twice now. It's farther than I imagined, but not so far that I can't make it there on a weekend. I just haven't really been doing that. It's a bit expensive to make traveling to London a habit. I do have to eat on occasion. I went the third weekend in town with Courtney and Monique. But I also went back to visit my friend Allen (whom I hadn't seen in over 15 years, and the fact that I can say I recall fifteen years ago clearly because i was a teenager is just...mind-blowing.) I love London. I thought it was beautiful and full of all the things that make me love and hate England all at once. People here are actually, perhaps, ruder than New Yorkers. They don't move out of the way when you walk. It's like playing chicken on the sidewalk. But then, there's Big Ben. (look kids! Big Ben!...If you don't know the movie I can't help you) I felt flutters in my stomach. I've only read about this place, but now the iconic images from history books and movies were right in front of me. We saw Buckingham Palace, St. James Park, the craziness that is Trafalgar Square, Westminster Abbey, and just had a really great day. It didn't even rain! (until the end just before we boarded the bus. What can ya do? it's England) I felt like such a tourist. I know I am, but I was genuinely struck by just how overcome with wonder and awe you can be in a city that is so foreign but familiar. I know all the names of the places, but I'm finally seeing them. It was exciting I'm sad to say that when we went into the National Gallery, I couldn't really really enjoy it. I love museums. I love walking around them, reading the descriptions of the pictures, taking that step back to see just what the painting says to me. But my counterparts were not so intrigued. I think it was just a means to get out of the wind and threat of rain that managed to hold off for a few more hours after that. They were more intrigued by the "blue cock" outside the building. I have to say, I found that giant thing quite amusing as well, but it was the National Gallery. And it was free which is a big step up from America and their ridiculous prices just to get inside, let alone to see particular exhibits. One day, I'm going back to London just to see the museums.
On my second trip, Allen showed me a great time. I felt like I got the skinny on what it means to be a Londoner and how to blend a little better. Granted, it will likely not happen on this trip abroad, but just good to know for later. I also took the Underground. That was the most intricate and crazy-looking subway system map that I almost had a heart attack. Whoever thinks New York is hard should really try London. But I figured it out and made my way, solo, to the Tower of London. After the Tower, I marched across Tower bridge and made a right on some random street. I mistakenly embarked on a two or three mile journey to the Globe theater. On my initial glance at the map, I somehow thought it was near tower bridge. No. It's near London Bridge and that mess was far. LOL. But I enjoyed my walk and looking at shops and streets. When I finally arrived, I'd just made it in time for the final tour of the day. And then, I let my Nerdy English Major Flag Fly. I was so excited to see the Globe. I love Shakespeare. LOVE!!!! I have read almost every single play (i think I'm missing a few towards the end of his career) And I, for my senior AP history Project, did a report on the Globe Theater and built a three foot high Globe theater out of wood. I even put a stage in that sucker. lol. I wish I still had it because I was so proud of that thing. Anyway, as I was walking around nearly crying with joy of being there, I felt the power of literature and of those with such creative minds that they actually create it. You can learn history from literature; you learn about the people. their attitudes. Their desires. Their fears. Literature is so powerful the Globe is an example of the power of the Elizabethan playwrights, such as Shakespeare. I sometimes feel at a loss to find such quality and refinement in modern works. But I digress and this short blog is getting longer and longer. Needless to say, the Globe is beautiful, even if it's a recreation. It was like stepping back in time in the best way possible. That day, when I spent so much time alone just wandering, was when I fell in love with London.

No comments: